Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dress To Impress

     A dance piece is incomplete until you add the final touch, costumes! Just like choreographers have different styles of movement they also have different approaches to dressing their piece. Essentially costumes can be just an accessory or they can be crucial in helping the piece tell a story or create the right ambiance.

     I am very excited to be premiering a new work in our upcoming Spring Performance. Even before I began to create movement and choreograph I decided to start with costumes. Usually its the other way around, choreography first then costumes. I wanted to create costumes that would inspired me and help me in describing and showcasing a story and characters.  I wanted these costumes to come alive and be transferred onto the dancers. I wanted the costumes to be the driving force of my choreography. 

     I was immediately in contact with Lito-John Demitita, costume designer and creator extraordinaire. I expressed my ideas and thoughts behind this piece and he took that and designed 8 different amazing costumes. With renderings in hand I immediately began to let me creativity run wild and I began to create a piece. 

     The costumes themselves are quite the characters. So once I matched the costume to the IDT dancers, it was magic! From the very beginning these costumes have been a very important element to the piece, without them the expression of the movement would not be the same. It just makes sense and you will be able to see the final result April 15th - 17th at Boise State's Special Events Center. 

     Lito-John has also designed and created the costumes for Marla's Orpheus & Euridice piece, which is also in the shows program. 

     I also had to raise the funds to have these costumes created and THANKS to lots of generous people I have ALMOST raised all of the money needed. If you would like to help out by making a taxable donation you can go to our website at www.idahodancetheatre.org and made a contribution to my costumes.  Under purpose of donation just put 'For Gonzalo's Costumes'. 

     Check out the renderings of the costumes and be sure to come to the show to see what these crazy costumes are all about. 

Spring Performance - April 15th-17th, 2011 - Boise State University - Special Events Center
April 14th - Preview Night "Pay what you can afford night".

~ Gonzalo

No comments:

Post a Comment